Heating and air conditioning systems generally come with two sets of coils–a condenser coil in the external HVAC unit, and an evaporator coil in the indoor unit. The coils are responsible for increasing or reducing the temperature and pressure of the coolant used by the HVAC system, ensuring reliable, consistent heating and cooling performance. However, coils aren’t exempt from the occasional problem, the most common of which is corrosion.
But why exactly does coil corrosion occur, and what can you do to prevent it? A trusted AC repair and installation company in the area, Air Products & Services, shares what you need to know here.
What Causes Corrosion in HVAC Coils?
There are actually two types of coil corrosion that can occur in your HVAC system. Pitting corrosion happens when the coil is exposed to water, chemicals or detergents that contain chloride or fluoride. This creates cavities or ‘pits’ in the metal surface of the coil, increasing the potential for leakage.
Formicary corrosion, on the other hand, occurs when the coil comes into contact with formic or acetic acids, which are usually found in paints, cleaning solvents and adhesives. You’ll know your HVAC coils have formicary corrosion when they develop pinhole leaks or a distinct etching on their metal surface. If you notice corrosion in your HVAC coils, call a trusted residential AC repair and replacement company like Air Products & Services promptly for the necessary solution.
What Happens When You Leave Coil Corrosion Unchecked?
Whatever type of corrosion your HVAC coils may have, the result will be the same. The coils will become so deteriorated that refrigerant will eventually leak out of them. Refrigerant is a chemical blend that’s integral to the cooling and heating performance of your HVAC system. Without the proper amount, your system won’t be able to run at peak efficiency, which will compromise your home’s indoor comfort and lead to higher energy bills. Worst case, the HVAC system may even break down and force you to get an early replacement.
How Do You Prevent Corrosion in HVAC Coils?
The good news is that there are plenty of simple, effective ways to prevent coil corrosion in your HVAC system. You should, for example:
- Have the coils cleaned periodically. This will not only lower the risk of corrosion, it will also prevent debris from building up and creating blockages that hamper the way your coils work.
- Avoid using household and personal hygiene products that contain a high chemical content.
- Consider applying a protective coating to the evaporator and condenser coils. However, first consult an HVAC expert to determine if this is a viable solution for your needs.
- Invest in a whole-home air cleaner for your HVAC system to capture and eliminate airborne VOCs (volatile organic compounds) and gases that encourage corrosion in metallic components.
- Schedule annual HVAC inspections and tune-ups with a trusted AC troubleshooting system expert like Air Products & Services. We offer planned maintenance agreements that will help prevent costly repairs and premature replacements in the future. By extending your system’s service life and maintaining its performance, our maintenance plans allow you to get the most out of your heating and air conditioning system.
Should You Repair or Replace?
In cases where corrosion has developed unimpeded in your HVAC coils, you can deal with the problem either by having the coils repaired or replaced. Unfortunately, once corrosion has created holes in the coils, no amount of repair work can fix them. The coils will need to be replaced with the exact same type to ensure they’ll work correctly. When it’s not possible to find a matching coil, you’ll need to start planning for a full HVAC system replacement.
Why You Should Choose Air Products & Services
Some people are under the impression that an HVAC replacement can be easily DIYed, but this isn’t true. Like most home upgrades, a heating and cooling system replacement will take precise workmanship and technical experience: qualities that reliable HVAC professionals have. And finding the right one for your needs is actually fairly simple–you just need to turn to Air Products & Services. Homeowners in Southern California know that when it comes to high-quality air conditioning replacement, we’re the ones to call.
- We’re qualified. Air Products & Services is fully licensed and insured for your greater protection. We offer a full range of HVAC and indoor air quality services to better meet all your indoor comfort needs. Our team is also composed of professional, uniformed, thoroughly- screened technicians who are committed to delivering high-quality service.
- We’re experienced. Since 1979, Air Products & Services has provided homeowners in Tarzana, CA, and beyond with superior, long-lasting HVAC solutions. Any time you choose us to handle your air conditioning replacement, you’ll get unrivaled workmanship that leaves no room for costly mistakes and callbacks. In fact, we don’t consider a project truly finished until you’re completely satisfied with the results.
- We’re certified. Air Products & Services takes pride in the fact that our HVAC technicians are NATE- (North American Technician Excellence) certified. They’re knowledgeable, skilled and competent, and will ensure that every project taken on is done right the first time. Homeowners who work with our NATE-certified HVAC technicians will also benefit from lower utility bills and equipment that runs at peak efficiency, all thanks to proper system installation and maintenance.
- We offer top-tier HVAC options. As a Carrier® Factory-Authorized Dealer, Air Products & Services offers only the best heating, cooling and indoor air quality systems available today. These systems not only provide reliable, efficient, lasting performance, they also come with solid warranties that add an extra layer of protection to your investment.
- We ensure complete client satisfaction. At Air Products & Services, customer-centric service is our staple. We’re always ready and available to answer your questions, address any concerns and provide you with customized HVAC solutions that perfectly suit your indoor comfort needs. On top of that, we offer flexible, convenient financing options so you can get started on your HVAC upgrade with greater confidence. Our commitment to customer-focused service is the reason we maintain an A+ Rating with the Better Business Bureau® and continue to receive 5-star reviews locally, on Yelp, Facebook and Google My Business.
Schedule a Consultation Today
You may recognize Air Products & Services as an expert in AC troubleshooting systems, but you can also count on us for professional HVAC repair and replacement services. By combining superior workmanship and customer-first service, we’ll ensure your project runs smoothly and safely. We proudly serve Van Nuys, Tarzana, and other areas in Southern California. Call us today at (818) 989-2030 or fill out this contact form to schedule your consultation. We look forward to hearing from you!