An air conditioning replacement is a huge deal. Most would assume it’s just a matter of getting one at the store and having it installed on the same day, but this isn’t exactly how it works. Like most important home improvement projects, it requires careful planning and taking the time to cover all essential factors. These include the size of your new air conditioning system–and by size, we mean the actual cooling capacity of the AC, not the physical space it takes up.
To ensure you get the most out of your new air conditioner, you want to make sure it offers just the right cooling capacity for your home. Getting a system that’s overpowered (or underpowered) can lead to a number of problems, the least of which is inconsistent indoor temperatures and significant energy loss. The worst case is having to invest in a new AC just under a year after getting the previous one.
The premier AC troubleshooting system expert in the area, Air Products & Services, expounds on this topic here.
Getting an overpowered air conditioner throws off the cooling cycle. What’s wrong with too much cooling? A lot, as it turns out. A standard air conditioning system runs on cooling cycles. The moment the thermostat signals to the air conditioner that your home needs cooling, it will activate the fans and compressors to start the cycle. Depending on the heat inside your house and the desired cooling settings, the cycle may last for 15 minutes or more. When the ideal temperature is reached, the air conditioner will cycle down.
An overpowered air conditioner will throw off this cycle. Because it has a larger cooling capacity, the thermostat will register the house as ‘cooled’ even when the cycle hasn’t lasted long enough to allow conditioned air to circulate evenly throughout your house. It will only take a few minutes for temperatures to rise again, in which case the thermostat will signal the AC to start the cycle anew. This process of cutting back the cooling cycle before it can finish is called short cycling, which is bad for your new AC because:
- It leads to insufficient cooling performance that creates hot spots inside your house.
- This then leads to unnecessary strain being put on the AC components, especially the compressor, causing them to wear down faster.
- It can result in comfort problems, along with higher cooling bills.
An AC with too much cooling capacity won’t last long. We’ve mentioned that short cycling can accelerate wear and tear on the components of your air conditioner, increasing the likelihood of breakdowns. Sure, you can deal with them with a prompt AC repair, but to make the most of your system’s life, it should be the right size for your home.
An oversized AC can increase humidity levels in your home. This is because the air conditioner won’t run long enough to remove excess moisture from the air. Along with leaving your home muggy and making you feel warm and uncomfortable, increased humidity levels also encourage mold growth and mildew. These are usually concentrated in your air ducts, and you’ll need to have the ductwork cleaned professionally to get rid of them. Otherwise, mold spores will mix in with the air being distributed throughout your house, compromising indoor air quality and triggering allergic reactions to those sensitive to their exposure.
Before getting a new air conditioning system, consult a trusted local HVAC technician like Air Products & Services. Our professional team will be more than happy to help you explore your options and decide on the AC that’s just the right fit for your home. This way, you can be sure the system will deliver the reliable, efficient cooling performance you expect.
Why You Should Turn to Air Products & Services
Air conditioning replacement is a home upgrade you should never DIY. For starters, there’s the question of proper sizing. You’ll want to make sure your new AC is just the right size for your home and specific needs. There’s also the matter of skill and expertise–it’s all too easy for untrained homeowners to make costly mistakes that compromise the performance of the new system. A smarter, better idea is to work with a dependable company that you know can deliver exceptional results.
In the San Fernando Valley area, that would be Air Products & Services. Here are some of the reasons we remain the go-to expert for professional AC services:
- We’re qualified. Air Products & Services has what it takes to perform residential and commercial AC work in your area. Our technicians are qualified, uniformed and fully screened for your greater protection. They’ll make sure that any project undertaken, whether it’s AC installation or duct replacement, is a positive, enjoyable experience.
- We’re experienced. Since 1979, Air Products & Services has provided Southern Californians with the highest-quality solutions to their heating, cooling and indoor air quality needs. We specialize in a wide range of HVAC services, including AC repair–and you can be sure you’ll always get unmatched workmanship because our dependable technicians are NATE (North American Technician Excellence) Certified.
- We offer top-of-the-line HVAC products. Air Products & Services is a Carrier® Factory-Authorized Dealer, meaning we offer some of the best HVAC products available today. From air conditioning and air purification systems to digital thermostats, ventilators and gas furnaces, you needn’t look any further. You’ll also benefit from the solid warranty coverage included with them. And because we offer customized solutions, you can count on us to match you with the product type and size that will suit the comfort needs of your home.
- We’re proven. Air Products & Services is committed to your complete satisfaction–something we always achieve with our punctual team and customer-centric approach. Our team is equipped with the most advanced tools and updated equipment–and knows how to use them–allowing them to handle any HVAC upgrade with skill and ease. The 5-star reviews and ratings we’ve received on Google My Business, Facebook and Yelp speak to the quality of our work. Additionally, we maintain an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau®, so you know you’ll be getting the best service.
Air Products & Services is not only your AC troubleshooting system expert–we can also handle your air conditioning installation needs. You can always expect a safe, stress-free experience when you choose us to handle your HVAC needs. We proudly serve Tarzana and Van Nuys, CA, and the rest of Southern California. Call us today at (818) 989-2030 or fill out this contact form to schedule your FREE HVAC evaluation. We’d love to hear from you!